[Alug] Jon 'maddog' Hall in Köln: "Effective Linux Advocacy"

Jens Chr. Bachem jens at marvin.cologne.de
Fre Nov 8 02:23:38 CET 2002

Der Linux-Workshop Köln lädt ein - in Zusammenarbeit mit der German Unix
Users Group e.V. und dem Zentrum für Angewandte Informatik Köln:

Jon 'maddog' Hall spricht am Freitag, dem 15. November um 19 Uhr im
Hörsaal E, Hörsaalgebäude der Universität zu Köln. Der Vortrag wird in
englischer Sprache gehalten. Anschließend werden Ausflüge in's Kölner
Nachtleben angeboten.

Informationen zur Anreise sind unter
http://www.uni-koeln.de/uni/ueberblick_anreise.html zu finden. Im
"Lageplan der Universität" befindet sich das Hörsaalgebäude links im
Quadrat E4.

Title: Effective Linux Advocacy

Abstract: While we all know that that Linux is the best operating
systems on the face of the earth and that Open Source is the only way
to develop free software, often we present these messages to business
people the wrong way.  Likewise we are frustrated by what seemingly is
stupid acts by business, government and education in the way that they
react to our messages.  Jon "maddog" Hall will discuss these issues,
woven with a bit of computer history, and try to formulate methods of
converting business people (including government and educators) away
from the Dark Side of the Force.

Bio: Jon "maddog" Hall is the Executive Director of Linux International
(www.li.org), a non-profit association of computer vendors who wish
to support and promote the Linux Operating System.  During his career
which spans over thirty years, Mr. Hall has been a programmer, systems
designer, systems administrator, product manager, technical marketing
manager and educator.  He has worked for such companies as Western
Electric Corporation, Aetna Life and Casualty, Bell Laboratories,
Digital Equipment Corporation and Compaq.  He has taught at Hartford
State Technical College, Merrimack College and Daniel Webster College.

Mr. Hall is the author of numerous magazine and newspaper articles, many
presentations and one book, "Linux for Dummies".

Mr. Hall serves on the boards of several companies, and several non-profit
organizations, including the USENIX Association.

Mr. Hall has traveled the world speaking on the benefits of Open Source
Software, and received his BS in Commerce and Engineering from Drexel
University, and his MSCS from RPI in Troy, New York.

He really likes talking to university students, and particularly over
a glass of fine german beer.

--
Linux-Workshop Köln - http://www.uni-koeln.de/themen/linux/
ZAIK - http://www.zaik.uni-koeln.de/