[Alug] Darwin/Mac OS X Open Source

Morten Gulbrandsen Morten.Gulbrandsen at rwth-aachen.de
Die Feb 3 08:17:08 CET 2004

Hi,

eine andere Frage,

stimmt es dass Darwin/Mac OS X Open Source  geworden ist ?

wird es  auf Intel  laufen ?

nur so nebenbei  gesurft

Of course, there are plenty of excellent open source variants for any of the pieces of LAMP. Let the L stand for Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and Darwin/Mac OS X, all of which are open source operating systems and all but the latter have open source GUI layers. Let the M stand for MySQL and PostGreSQL. Let the P stand for PHP, Perl, Python, and Ruby.

http://librenix.com/?inode=1993

      The fifth BSD: Darwin/Mac OS X

           This article has a brief overview of all five modern BSD's (BSDI, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and OS X) as well as some history of the Berkeley Software Distribution.

                        Alas, there is no mention of a dog named Biff who (only) barked at the mailman. I guess that is the price we pay for brevity.

                          As noted in my previous article, much of the early work on the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) in the 1970's was based on code originally from AT&T. In fact, all BSD source distributions up through 4.3BSD-Tahoe required the user to also purchase a source license from AT&T because a significant portion of the BSD source came directly from AT&T UNIX. This additional cost became prohibitively expensive for vendors wanting to use the BSD-derived, TCP/IP networking code for the PC market. These vendors requested that Berkeley break out this "BSD-only" code and provide it as a separate product. This "wholly-BSD" product was released as Network Release 1 in 1989, and it became an instant success. Work began soon thereafter to rewrite the AT&T portions of the rest of the 4.3BSD code to produce a feature-complete, BSD operating system without the costly licensing constraints imposed by AT&T.

Interessant ?

mfg

Morten